Saturday, January 17, 2015

New Beginnings

 

I am finally back to posting and want to wish you a Happy New Year. 

On January 1, 2015 my DH lost his battle with Pancreatic Cancer.  It was unexpected at the time as he was doing well.

I am slowly getting back into my sewing room.  My  design wall  has looked like this for months.

2015-01-17 001 2015-01-17 001

A group of friends did a swap for these 4 patch half square triangles. This little quilt was inspired by a reproduction of an antique quilt from the book “Small Blocks Stunning Quilts” by Mary Elizabeth Kinch and Biz Storms. I hope someday this will adorn a great grandchilds crib. It makes me smile.2015-01-17 002 2015-01-17 002

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Last year the American Quilt Study had a challenge to reproduce a small quilt from the mid 1800’s.  My friend Sarah proposed a private challenge following the same rules.  This is my reproduction.  I really enjoyed the challenge and searching for the “just right” fabrics was so much fun.  The photo of the original is in the book “Crib Quilts and other Small Wonders” by Thos.K. Woodard and Blanche Greenstein.

2015-01-17 002 2015-01-17 004

I have also been doing some needlework. This is a reproduction sampler from Little House Needleworks.  The frame I wanted was different, but could not make contact with a frame store that carried it.  But I am satisfied with the frame I chose and I just love the fabric it is stitched on.

2015-01-17 003 2015-01-17 003

I have made some progress on AW 1662 by Scarlet-Letter.

2015-01-17 003 2015-01-17 004

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have read several good books over the last couple months and I highly recommend them if you like historical fiction.

My Name is Resolute by Nancy E Turner

The Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen

These is my Words by Nancy Turner and the sequels

Sentence of Marriage by Shayne Parkinson and the sequels

Until Next time

Pat

 

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

Karen said...

Such sad news, Pat. My sympathy.

Debra @ Life is a Stitch said...

My condolences, Pat. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Your stitching looks great. I especially like the half-squares pink.
Blessings,

Shari - a prim and (not so) proper quilter said...

Pat, I am so very sorry for your loss. May your family and friends bring you much comfort during this time.

I have read all of the Nancy Turner books you mentioned, and they are excellent. I'll try some of the others you mentioned.

Jennie in GA said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. Cancer is a beast.
Your work is all lovely. As usual. Hopefully, soon, you will have the heart for it again. Thinking of you.

Dawn said...

Oh Pat, I am so, so sorry for your loss!

I am happy to see all of,your beautiful projects. May you find some peace in a needle and thread.

The crib quilt is adorable, as are your plan for it.

Take care!!

Linda said...

Pat, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your dear husband. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Silly Goose said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you. xx